Acronym moment:
- JFACC = Joint Force Air Component Commander, or conducts joint air operations from the Air Operations Center.

Arrived at the San Diego Airport and went to the USO, as directed. Sure enough, they had a sign up list going for transportation to the mobilization site at Naval Station San Diego. Only waited for maybe ten minutes before a Cloud Nine van came to pick three of us up. There was two other individuals already in the van, and I naturally figured they were also military. But they wound up just being regular customers and we had to drop them off downtown and in Coronado, adding quite a bit of time to the otherwise short trip to the base.
NAVSTA San Diego (hopefully you can figure that one out) was where I was stationed on my first ship, the USS Shiloh (CG 67). I was shocked to see some high-rises under construction on the 'dry side' of the base, right across from where I checked in to the quarters. The Navy, and all ther services, are under a lot of pressure to improve the standard of living for our enlisted sailors. Back in 1995 only officers, Chief Petty Officers (E-7 and above) and married sailors received allowance to live off base. By my second ship, they had pushed that down to E-6 and were working on E-5. This on base housing is for E-3 and E-4, if I'm not mistaken. Looks like a pretty big improvement over triple bunks and small lockers shipboard.
Unfortunately, the nightly situation was not good, and I had to stand in line for well over an hour to get checked. Of course it that was followed by a very long 'bag drag' to the officer quarters, where my card didn't work at first. Finally got it to work, and pretty much hit the sack right away after watching a little NFL action.


No comments:
Post a Comment