Sunday, April 13, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Today I traveled from Korea to Japan. Here's a pictoral journey from the Land of the Morning Calm to the Land of the Morning Sun.

Four of us from the Plans shop met at COMNAVFOR Korea bright and early. We got a short ride from a ROK Navy van to the train station, or KTX.

Police station outside the gate. Yes, that is fake log cabin fascia.

At the ultra-modern train station in Seoul, right near Yongsan, we got tickets and boarded a train bound for Busan.

Train platform, departing Seoul.

The KTX can only be described as a bullet train. Very fast, the displays in the car listed our speed at 180 km per hour at one point. When passing another bullet train traveling in the opposite direction, we passed in the blink of an eye.

Metro train going other direction, I was never fast enough to catch another bullet train.

Crossing the Han River.

This is actually a golf driving range. Koreans are fanatical golfers (much like my father-in-law), but space is so limited they have to set up these nets.

Busan is apparently the second largest city in South Korea. Another ROK Navy van picked us up and drove us over to the air base. These guys are coming in handy.

Approaching Busan and the coast.

At the air base, we literally drove around a corner, saw our U.S. Navy C-130 plane, and continued right up next to it. After loaded our bags, we went looking for U.S. contractor who would clear us. The ROK Navy guys showed right afterwards, and we were off.

Gimhae Air Base, part of the commercial airport.

Our C-130. The "C" stands for cargo. Today, we were the cargo.

The plane ride was uneventful. Just a quick two-hour hop over the East Sea. Above 10,000 feet you can "move around the cabin." Or cargo area.

Inside of the C-130 during the flight. I'm standing back by the loading ramp. Yes, it was closed at the time.

The longest delay of the trip was waiting for the South Korean guys to clear customs. I think they were also making copies of their paperwork to facilitate our arrival at Yokosuka.

Atsugi Naval Air Field. This one is U.S. only, best I could tell.

The Seventh Fleet guys that picked us up literally ordered pizza on the bus ride down to Yokosuka. After picking it up on the base, we headed over to the berthing barge and devoured a couple pieces each. The ROK Navy officers will be staying on the barge for this event, and we will all be working there in some make-shift offices. The consensus in our group wasn't one of optimism. The barge was constructed in 1944. That's right, before the end of World War II. And the AC was working a little too well. Overall, this should make for some interesting working conditions. I can just say I'm glad I brought my coat. And that we are staying in quarters on the base.

Just got back from a proper dinner out in town. Mexican food, go figure!

No comments: