Saturday, April 5, 2008

Mike Deployment to Korea

About two weeks ago I accepted orders to Korea. The orders are five months long, 150 days exactly.

The first part of my orders is only 2 days here in Sacramento. As luck would have it, I had a regular drill weekend to attend, so I arranged to have my orders bring me here on the way. It was important for a few reasons, most importantly because I have a new Senior Enlisted Leader coming to the unit.

Tomorrow I catch a quick hop to San Francisco, followed by a 12-hour flight to Incheon International Airport in Seoul, South Korea.

I'll be in South Korea for one week before heading to Yokosuka (Yo-koos-ka), Japan, for two months. Then I'll head back to Korea through end of August. At least that's the plan right now.

I'll be helping re-write the "warplan" this summer. The time in Japan is with U.S. Seventh Fleet on the USS Blue Ridge. Back in Seoul, I'll be working at COMNAVFOR Korea. That's the command that my unit, CNFK Det. C, supports during exercises and if we were to ever go to war.


For anyone who wants more information, here are the links to the respective websites:

Commander, Seventh Fleet
Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea (COMNAVFOR Korea, or "CNFK")
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK)

These two past weeks at home were great. Katie and I spent some quality time together and with her parents and my Dad and Stepmom, who came down from New York. We cleaned the house, got Katie set up in her new "office" with a nice dual screen display, had both cars detailed, taxes done, and even had time to go to a Yankees game.

Katie and I will be keeping in touch via e-mail, internet phone, and internet video. As for the rest of you, you'll just have to read this blog!

No comments: