This week was so busy I didn't have time to do anything very fun or eventful. Just stand watch in the JOC and work-out. Early in the week I finished my boat engineer qual. Since then I've been hitting the books for some navigation review. I hope to have the navigator/radio talker qualification done by Friday. That just leaves coxswain, which is driving and overall in charge of a boat. And as our coxswains are very proud to point out, "weapons release authority."
As far as this boat thing goes, more than anything I just like to get out of the office and on the water. I'm "off the watchbill" the next five days, so I intend to take full advantage and get as much 'stick-time' on the boats as possible. Already looks like I'll get to do a transit from one port to the other and back. That will feel like being back up in the North Arabian Gulf.
Katie has been diligently house hunting with her Mom, for which I am forever great-full. Both for that fact that mom-in-law is right there to help, and to my incredible wife for jumping into this with both feet. While technically this isn't our first home purchase together, it sure seems like it. Buying an actual house that you intend to raise a family in, or at least start raising a family in, is a little more serious. Plus I suppose it also means we're going to put down some roots. Not that I love Connecticut, but I do love my wife :) Maybe someday we'll be back in the mountains. Probably about the time that ESPN opens a permanent Winter X-Games / Baseball Tonight office in the Rockies.
Part of my happy disposition probably has to do with that small light at the end of the tunnel. The light representing the end of deployment and the end of mobilization. The second happy might represent some info I discovered about the Post-9/11 GI Bill. I'm was pretty much over-joyed to find out I will receive at least 50%, if not 60% or 70%, of the max benefits. That's based on the number of months on active duty since 9/11. The housing allowance (BAH for those in the military) will basically pay for the mortgage right there, and the of course the GI Bill pays in-state tuition.
I also contacted the UConn this week and got them to send me the paperwork I need to fill out to formally enroll. Expect to start class in mid-August. I should be home the first week of August, so I'll have plenty to time to go "back-to-school shopping" and buy some new clothes, among other things. Starting to look forward to this next stage of my life, and the new career that will follow.
That's all for now. Sorry no photos, maybe I'll get some on the boats this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment