This news from Katie came one or two days after I purchased and shipped a couple of rugs over at Camp Arifjan. One of my first thoughts was that those rugs would go to waste. Well, maybe not. Katie managed to find another place almost overnight. We're going to make an offer on this new property, also in Southington:
http://www.weichert.com/25700870/?cityid=48280&pg=12
Here's Katie's description of the new place:
We saw 4 new houses today and one of them was a GEM! Its very similar to the one we just rejected, in Southington, a raised ranch, with a nice big(ger!) backyard (and no power lines:). The best part is that almost EVERYTHING inside/outside the house is new and/or redone recently. It looked like something out of Better Homes and Gardens, it was impeccable. And its ready to be moved in, there are no people living there now. And its got the two requirements, 2-car garage and central air. Its in a nice, wooded area, near a lake and lots of farms. Deb is going to do a market analysis and hopefully we can get a good price.
The MLS pictures aren't quite as impressive as the other house, but that's because its not as well decorated. Looked like they took the photos after they were half-moved out. Still has hardwood floors, so the two rugs I just bought and shipped back will still get used. It is larger, though. The downstairs doesn't look finished but Katie assures me it is. It reversed from the other house, with the kitchen and living room on the left side looking from the street. And the garage opens to the side, which is actually a lot nicer. Means you can turn around in the driveway.

The backyard will be a lot more condusive to playing catch or kicking a soccer ball around (in a radiation free environment). Backs up to some woods. Kind of reminds me of our home in Albany growing up. Maybe I'll plant some corn in the backyard! This one doesn't come with a lawn mower or anything, so I'll get to go shopping for that. Hello yardwork!

And speaking of moving, over here in the desert I got to move unexpectedly this week. I returned to my room a couple days ago to a horrible stench. I could smell it as I walked down the passageway in the building. When I opened the door I was just about knocked out by the smell. The only thing I could think was that a mouse or rat died in the room. I checked everywhere but couldn't find anything, so I suspected it was in the overhead. With the AC blowing the air moves throughout the room. The base camp cell and contractors finally found the source of the offensive odor: a old pipe had backed up and eventually corroded, and leaked into the (likely asbestos) insulation, causing it to rot. Long story short, I moved down the hall to another room. At least I got to practice packing for the trip back!
Otherwise, things are moving along quickly here. Early in the week I got to do a transit on the boats between Kuwait Naval Base and the Seaport. Not very far, but it gave me a chance to practice my navigator and radio skills. And I finally had my Navigator and Radio Talker qualification board on Friday. I'd been preparing for about a month, and they had to give me some pretty obscure "look-ups."
I have almost all my Coxswain tasks done, too. The one person that can qualify me just returned from the North Arabian Gulf (same job I had). He previously agreed to give me a board, so I'm furiously trying to finish that up. Perhaps more substantial is the cooperation and support I've received from the boat unit personnel. The command senior chief of the boat division even gave me a signed copy of a book about the history of the Navy's small boat forces in Vietnam, saying he appreciated all the interest I've shown in being a "small boat sailor."
Yesterday I caught the boat maintenance facility Chief Petty Officer at breakfast and he said they were finally putting a boat into the watch. So I got to launch a boat for the first time. Well, I got to launch a Navy 34' Sea Ark for the first time. After driving it over to the boat house, we went to take another one out. Realizing it still needed all the pre-underway checks done, I hoped in the engine compartment and knocked that out. Not only was it a good review, I lost about 10 pounds in ten mintues. The hatches were so hot you couldn't really touch them with your bare hands. Yes, it is that hot here!
While doing this, I found out the Deputy Commodore was going out for a ride on one of our 11-meter rhibs, which the BMF had launched after the 34'. Similar sized boat, but it's designed for riverine use and has a lot of armor. But it also has jet drives and wildly different operating characterists and controls. The thing will stop almost on a dime, can turn almost as quickly, and can "walk" sideways. I was fortunate and got to practice all three. After the Deputy, of course! I didn't have my camera but hopefully will come across some photos somewhere.
I'm also getting the last few things done to fully qualify as Force Security Watch Officer, the watch I've been standing the whole time here in Kuwait. And finishing work on a passdown binder for the MSRON coming in behind us. I'm hoping to finish standing watch in the JOC here shortly so I can concentrate on the boat quals and the other remobilization, turnover, and after action projects for the Commodore.
Updated travel plans back in the States include a one day stop in Ohio on the way to St. Louis and the All-Star Game. That will give me time to see Mom and Grandma, and hopefully the rest of the Schuller clan that is in town.
2 comments:
Mike,
is the "Shark" boat in week #37 Sunday 24th May, the same as the 11meter rhib in this blog?
Jim McNair.
Jim,
Nope. The 11-meter rhib is a riverine boat with a jet drive. The Shark Boat is one of our normal "harbor" security boats with props. It was painted to match a paint scheme made famous by a boat in Vietnam. I want to say it was an LCPL (landing craft personnel - large), which is the closest predecessor to our current boats. The PBR, a slightly more famous boat from Vietnam, had jet drives, and therefore would be more closely linked to the 11-meter rhib currently operated by our riverine forces. So basically the difference between Task Force 115, Operation Market Time, versus TF-116, Operation Game Warden. I'm reading up on the history of the 'brown water navy' right now, very interesting!
Post a Comment