Sunday, April 19, 2009

Week #32 - Bahrain, and Back to Kuwait

I'm back to my "home away from home" of Kuwait Naval Base, the three month deployment to the North Arabian Gulf complete. On the way back to Kuwait I was able to ride the Cardigan Bay down to Bahrain and get some Rest and Relaxation (R&R).

For reasons I won't go into here, my week of R&R was more like one afternoon of R&R and 6.5 days of B&F: Boredom and Frustration. Mainly frustration with getting myself, my weapon, my body armor, and secret material back to Kuwait with little to no help from anyone. I had originally planned to ride the ship back up to the NAG and catch the daily Inchcape service tug back to Kuwait. Berthing limitations on the CDB prevented that. So I had to switch to Plan B, getting myself back on my own. Ironically, I found out today the ship is delayed getting out of Bahrain, so I would have been stuck there even longer.

A Navy C-12, definitely not anywhere in the Middle East (there's no grass here)

I caught a Navy C-12 prop aircraft from the 'Av Unit' in Bahrain to Ali Al Saleem air base in Kuwait. I rode with four Master Chief Petty Officers that were returning from a combat promotion board. From the description, it sounded like a combination battlefield promotion and command advancement program (CAP). Commands over a certain size are able to 'cap' a proportionate number of personnel to the next rank. Usually this is for top-performing sailors who have a hard time with the advancement exam. One of the master chiefs explained this particular board was for sailors "being shot at and returning fire." I imagine you don't get a lot of time to study for the advancement exam, or even take it, when you are in-country and in that situation (of being shot at on a routine basis).

I did have the thought that some of our sailors in the NAG are probably deserving of meritorious advancement; they just seemed to be performing one to two paygrades above their rate: a Seaman (E-3) holding down the Navigator position on a boat (normally an E-5 or E-6), or a Petty Officer 2nd Class (E-5) as a boat coxswain and patrol leader (E-6 to E-7 billets), or a 1st Class Petty Officer (E-6) heading up the development of a training program for the Iraqi Navy's small boats, easily performing at the Chief, or even Senior Chief, Petty Officer level (E-7, E-8).

Back on dry land in Kuwait, I was greeted at Tent 2 by a couple members of our dispatch crew who brought me back to Kuwait Naval Base. I quickly found my new room. While I was gone, my roommate had been given the opportunity to move us into a renovated building. Similar style, but much nicer inside. The rooms are much bigger and I have one all to myself. Most importantly, however, the building has nice clean showers with hot water, something they secured in the previous building due to electrical safety issues. Namely the electric hot water heaters are literally installed IN the shower. Task Force SAFE had issues with that.

I made the rounds with the various departments and get checked back into the command: turned in orders to Admin, got a new cell phone from Supply, got my accounts back up and running with Comms. I also debriefed the Commodore on the NAG and discussed my new job with him and the Deputy.

Last night I happened to stumble upon a cigar affectionato club in the courtyard of my old building. I didn't quite finish my cigar, and I'm not sure I'll ever be an affectionado, mainly because it made my pretty nautious. But a couple of the Hawaiian Army National Guard guys showed up towards the end and played a few sounds on their guitars. They were very good and it was very relaxing. A nice was to return to KNB.

Today is Sunday and 'low ops' here on KAAOT. I mean KNB! Freudian slip, I guess I leave it in there :) I've already had my first foo-foo coffee (white chocolate mocha) at the Green Bean Cafe and a 'real' Mountain Dew (vice a haji dew). And I already picked up where I left off with running and working out.

Only about 70 days to go. It will be considerably less exciting from here out, but I'll continue to try and capture some highlights. Unfortunately there is no internet in the new building, and no wireless on base anymore, so I won't be able to contribute photos. You can't use thumbdrives on DOD computers anymore. That might not apply to MWR computers, I'll have to check.

Oh, everyone wish Katie a happy birthday! I was able to send her an e-card and order some presents from the Yankees website. And I was able to get on Skype one last time from the Av Unit just before my flight left Bahrain.

No comments: